Teos Ancient City is located in Seferihisar town of Izmir province. Founded in 1050-1000 BC, Teos was one of the 12 cities in Antique Ionia. The legendary founder was named as Athamas.

The substantial ruins of Temple of Dionysus is the most significant in the site. As an early work of Hermogenes of Priene, it was erected in 130 BC and restored during the reign of Emperor Hadrian. The temple was an Ionic peripteros with 6 by 11 columns standing on a platform measuring 18.5 by 35 meters. The temple was constantly repaired during the Roman Empire, but damaged by earthquakes. A Turkish archaeological team carried out the latest work and restoration in 1960s, and some finds including fragments of an acroterion, and a frieze with reliefs were taken to Izmir Archaeological Museum for exhibition.

Teos Ancient City consists of the Hellenistic city walls, antique theatre, acropolis, agora, odeon, bouleuterion, cistern, gymnasium, the remains of the ancient southern port and a small church built on the pier.


Sığacık was the northern port of Teos in the Antique era, and today it is a district that changed with the Teos Marina and hosts increasing numbers of visitors. Sığacık hosts world-famous Akkum and Ekmeksiz beaches with their glistening sands and clean sea and has many hotels and hostels. Even though the Sığacık Port is not a place to swim, the visitors can discover the Papaz Boğazı, Taş Ada, Azmak, Aktaşlı and Çamağız areas on daily boat tours.

Sığacık Castle, which was built between 1521-1522, during Suleyman the Magnificent’s Rhodes campaign and served as a naval base, in addition to defending the coastal village, and later became used as a customs control center. Although it had two floors when it was built, only one floor remains today and the walls of the castle are reached with hidden stairs. Stones from the Antique Teos City were used to build these walls and writings from the Teos city can be seen on the walls.

As the Slow City started moving, a serious amount of tourism started at the Sığacık Castle. The local market on Sundays became a popular weekend destination where local producers sell their products and women exhibit their handiwork. Women living in Seferihisar and inside the castle sell the desserts and foods they prepare in front of their houses.

The tea houses, cafés, restaurants that offer many sea foods, and small, cute fish restaurants of this calm district at the seaside are eager to please their guests.


Çıfıt Castle is located on an islet on the west of the town, which was built by Cüneyt, the governor of Aydınoğulları Seigniory, and had its brightest era during the reign of Ottoman Sultan Murat the second.


Within the borders of our town, there are many hot thermal springs such as Karakoç and Cumalı Thermal Springs, Uyuz and Ahmetcan public baths, Gelinbogan and Hamamonu hot springs.


74 km away from Teos Marina, Ephesus, one of the most famous cities in antiquity, was founded on the harbor where the Küçük Menderes (Kaistros) River flows into the sea. One of the biggest open-air museums of ancient World, Ephesus is the melting point of religions and civilizations.

The House of Virgin Mary is situated at the Peak of Bülbül Mountain, 9 kilometers from Selçuk. According to the legend, St. John came to Ephesus with Virgin Mary four or six years after the crucifixion of Jesus. Following the visions of a German nun. Catherina Emmerich, a group of Lazarist priests discovered a house, which is believed to be the palace where Virgin Mary spent her last days, in 1891. This discovery attracted the attention of the entire Christian world. The cruciform building topped with a dome was restored in modern times. The house received visits from Pope Paul VI in 1967 and Pope John Paul II in 1979, which strengthened the belief that Virgin Mary lived and died in Ephesus. This site has become a frequent destination for pilgrims, since the image of Virgin Mary is venerated not only by Christians but also by Muslims. A special mass is held on every 15 August, which attracts numerous visitors.